Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What We Deserve

The blessings of summer are upon us!

Cool mornings are spent watering and working in the garden [we will harvest our first zucchini tomorrow. We have tiny baby cucumbers, the corn is growing rapidly, the peppers are flowering, and we have green tomatoes. No matter how many seasons of gardening I've experienced, the excitement and joy of my garden never ceases.]

Hot afternoons are spent lounging in the front yard beneath the cool of the trees, watching Jai and Mina splash each other in their little pool. The beauty of the scene: the valley ringed by forest, the vibrant flowers in bloom, the glorious abundance of the Goddess - it always leaves me in awe.

A week ago [or two maybe? Keeping track of time is not one of my strong points], we returned from Lake Tahoe, where we witnessed the union of two beautiful and dear friends. The wedding was spectacular, made even more so by the abundance of old friends reuniting in celebration. My Mina's namesake, the very lovely Yasmina, traveled all the way from Peru to be at the wedding. One morning she came with Anthony and I as we took the kids to the beach, and we all got to spend some quality time together.


As we were catching up, she told me how happy I looked. I replied that I couldn't help but be happy; I have an amazing husband, two beautiful children, and a home in Eden. I added that I didn't know what I had done to deserve so many blessings, but I was grateful.

I have been thinking about her reply ever since. She said, "That is what all people deserve."

She is so right.

We often feel that we don't deserve blessings, that we must prove ourselves to be worthy. We don't deserve love, we don't deserve happiness, we don't deserve to live the life we dream of.

What would happen if we flipped that mentality on its head, and everyone lived from a place of deserving? What if everyone was aware of his or her worthiness? Deserving and worthy of love, happiness, peace, beauty, friendship, respect. Deserving to live in a way that nourishes our souls. If you felt you were deserving and worthy of all this, would your life change in any way?

The tricky part is that we are already blessed with all of these things; we just need to open our hearts and our minds [and release ourselves from our fears and our doubts] in order to receive them. We can live this way: it is what we deserve.


Many, many blessings.



*Thank you Yasmina*

No comments:

Post a Comment