Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Making Medicine with Grandmother Elder

Before I had children, herbal medicine was something that was very dear to my heart. I loved making teas and tinctures and salves and potions and concoctions and all sorts of goodness. When having children became an upcoming reality, I dreamt (dreamily, as one does when one is pregnant) about my little helpers and I gathering our plants and making beautiful medicine together.

My children are now very much a part of my life (or rather, they are my life), and herbal medicine is still a dear love of mine, but somehow that whole gathering plants and making medicine thing is not a frequented activity. It's not that my kids aren't interested, or not that we don't want to, but somehow time slips away and opportunities pass by untaken. I tell myself that once they are older (Yasmina in particular), it will all be easier, and we'll make medicine like the good green witches we are.

Right now, in this very moment, I am making it a solid intention to bring more herbal playtime into our lives.

It's not that we've never had any herbal adventures together - we've harvested nettles, made calendula salve, unsuccessfully attempted to make St. John's wort oil, and we went through a period last winter of tea blend craze. And I think it is true; as they get older, it will get easier.

In fact, it already is.

Last fall I enjoyed a medicine-making adventure all on my own, and I made elderberry syrup. It was a huge hit! Easy to make and delicious, it was our go-to for any cold or flu-like sickness. The kids ate it up like...well, like unbelievably delicious berry syrup. They even liked getting sick so they could take some of it. So this year, I knew elderberry syrup was a definite necessity in our medicine cabinet.

Yesterday [sunshine shining, naked booties and a black cat - well, my booty was not naked] we tromped down the road for a visit with Grandmother Elder. Perhaps it's because of the name, but when I connect with an elder tree, I always feel I am connecting to a grandmother. After asking for permission [and receiving it], we filled up several yogurt containers with clusters of the tiny deep blue berries. [In the picture below, they look kind of whitish. That's just a film that rubs off to show the true blue color underneath.]

We have two types of elder trees in the US: blue elder and red elder [if you buy elderberry syrup in the store, it is of the black variety, indigenous to Europe]. Here in the coast range, the red elder is quite prolific, but also quite poisonous, due to high levels of arsenic. Do not consume it for medicine or for any other reason. Incidentally, blue elder also has traces of arsenic, but as long as you don't rely on it as your primary food source, you should be fine. Perhaps it is because of this that you aren't supposed to eat any uncooked berries. Yasmina couldn't understand why I would give her a yogurt container full of delicious little berries and tell her not to eat them, so she ate quite a few [and I'm pleased to say that she is still alive and healthy today].

The recipe I use for our syrup comes from Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health (an excellent book for anyone interested in making herbal remedies). After pulling all the little berries off their stems,

take 1 cup of fresh berries (or 1/2 cup dried - we dry some berries to make syrup late in the season) and simmer them with 3 cups of water over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes.

When the tea is finished, strain it through a fine-mesh strainer, mashing the berries to extract as much goodness as possible. Once the tea cools a bit, add a cup of honey (we like to use raw honey for its own health benefits). Then bottle it up and store it in the fridge. Our syrup from last year started to get a little fermenty after several months, but we used it anyway (another good reason to have some dried berries on hand, to make a fresh batch of syrup). If you cannot locate any blue elder trees in your area, you can buy the dried berries. I recommend Mountain Rose Herbs, an excellent company based out of Eugene, OR.

There is no better medicine than that made by your own hands and your own love. Many blessings to you in your medicine making!


And gratitude, Grandmother Elder.

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome Jenny! I learn so much from you and your blog :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING!! We love Elderberry syrup when we get sick here too - but I haven't made it before! You are so amazing. OF COURSE there is a perfect Elderberry tree within walking distance to your house!?!?!? Do you know of any in Portland that we could go steal some berries from? xoxo Much love to you mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alisha - I can't think of any Elder trees in Portland, but there's got to be one somewhere (or you could plant one in your yard!) Hopefully there will still be some berries left by the time you come down for a visit. Much love to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since this post, I have been searching high and low (mostly high) for someone with an elderberry bush on their property. Giving up hope, I began searching all the local foody stores and no one carries dried elderberries!! Then, I finally found a couple of bushes/trees in La Center on a vacant piece of property and have a friend that is picking for me so long as it's not too late in the season and/or the deer haven't eaten them all! Hope to be making some of this yummy medicine by tomorrow. Question though, when you add the berries to the pot, do you add any liquid or just mash them up and cook in whatever liquid they create? Thank you for the inspiration. Alisha, I will share if I get enough...and, during my quest for berries, I found a couple of sources to buy elderberry trees from this winter if you are interested. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad you found elderberries! And I'm sorry, but I did accidentally omit some important information from the post (I've fixed it now). Simmer your 1 cup fresh berries or 1/2 dried in 3 cups of water. That will make things a lot easier! Happy medicine making! love love love

      Delete