Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spring Happy



Spring is happy.

As I step out into the early morning, the coast range mist giving way to early light, the symphony of birds gives rise to joy deep in my being. Breathing in the fresh air, I ground myself to the damp earth from which the flowers bloom. The ducks are quacking to be let out, and Xango ("shango") the rooster must be driving the chickens crazy with all his crowing. After collecting the blue, tan and brown eggs the chickens have left us, I feed Harold and Avalon. The barn gets mucked out, and Rosie the broody hen gets some love. Always I am accompanied by my helpers, Yasmina and Bella. Looking in the greenhouse and around the garden, I see the cabbage and the kale are ready to transplant, the broccoli, spinach, peas, onions, and beets are doing very well, and some early beans and zucchini have sprouted. Surges of energy rush through my body as my hands eagerly anticipate digging in the earth. Oh yes, spring is very, very happy!

And busy. Very, very busy. In years past I have let the busyness overtake me and make me crazy. But not this year. This year I will flow through the season with serenity and grace, doing what I can, releasing what's not important, and simplifying the rest. I am keeping my perspective wide open: I do all that I do because I love it, and I will not let that love  turn into [silly, senseless] stress. I will prioritize that which brings me joy, and I will remember to take time out from "doing" for just "being." I will be still. I will breathe deeply. I will welcome my gratitude and enjoy the multitude of blessings that are my life.

At least, that's what I'm striving for. I'll let you know how it goes.

Many blessings, my friends. The garden is calling!


No comments:

Post a Comment