Monday, June 25, 2012

Celebrating Solstice : A Walk through the Garden

Five days ago the sun blessed us with the most daylight hours of the year. It was the Summer Solstice, a day to celebrate the sun and its gifts of life. Because I had been working like a madwoman in the garden, I did not plan an elaborate celebration. Anthony was working and my parents were busy, so the kids and I celebrated by soaking up the rays and making sun art out of modeling clay.


That evening after the kids were asleep, I spent the long, lovely evening hours in the garden, breathing in the gifts of the earth. After the sun finally set in a brilliant show of orange and pink, I went into the house and wrote this in my journal:

Tonight I am dreaming. Envisioning [in vision]. Creating. Being.
I am in the garden in the fading Solstice light, streaks of color painting the sky. The magnetic hues of the purple and pink petunias enrapture me. I am walking slowly, inhaling my garden's vibrant life energy. This is why I do this, I think.

The last three nights in the garden, I have worked very, very hard. Until 10:00 at night, when I couldn't see anymore. I prepared beds for and planted 19 winter squash (delicata, acorn, spaghetti, pumpkin, and some mystery squash. My dad is sure they are winter squash - but then again, they might be cucumbers); 7 tomatoes, with more on the way; 15 pepper plants, a corn maze, sunflowers, and untold petunias, marigolds, nasturtiums, zinnias, pansies, and snapdragons. [For this beautiful bounty I have my dad to thank. If it wasn't for his always giving me flats of his starts, my garden wouldn't be half as beautiful.]

Last night I was really tired. As I unenthusiastically finished planting my corn, my exhausted mind kept wondering why it was that I do this. Why am I so driven to work long hours growing food for my family? I could just shop at the farmer's market and spend my evenings relaxing on the porch. Why do I do this?

Tonight, as I walked through the beautiful creation of my own hands, the universe answered my question.

I do this because I love it.

I do this because a garden is a magical sanctuary, a connection to earth and Spirit. I do this because it truly is amazing to plant a seed and watch it grow into a beautiful being that nourishes our bodies and souls. I do this because it is my direct experience of Goddess. My garden is my creation, my vision coming to life. Moving among the plants, I can feel the vibrations of their life force. The energy of God.

This is why I do this. My garden inspires me, rejuvenates me, renews me.


*Gratitude*

1 comment: