Monday, November 19, 2012

Creative Rhythm

The more I accompany the earth on her rotations around the sun, the more I learn how to live in time with her rhythm.

Nothing on this earth is linear [except that which is made by man, but that is not what interests me]. Everything is governed by cycles: birth, growth, maturity, harvest, death.

Our culture, unfortunately, doesn't pay much mind to cycles. We are all about youth; we are all about constant production; we are all about tomatoes in February. We are so disconnected from our natural rhythms that many people don't even recognize it as a source of unbalance.

In much of my life so far, I have been on a path of reconnecting. Remembering. And I am remembering how to live the natural rhythm of cycles, rhythms that nourish and rejuvenate me.

Ever since reading Tami Lynn Kent's excellent and highly recommended book, Wild Feminine, I have reconnected to the creative cycles of my body and spirit. As one with the tendency to constantly charge full speed ahead [followed by the inherent burn out], learning to live in a cyclical manner has brought much balance and peace to my life. It has also erased the guilt I used to feel if I wasn't constantly doing and creating.

This is what I mean by referring to a creative cycle:
First, a phase of planting seeds, if you will. A time of birthing ideas, of setting intentions.
Then planning. What do I need to manifest my creation?
This all comes together in the growth of my creation, and then the harvest of some tangible outcome.
Last, but certainly not least, is the fallow period. As in rest, rejuvenation, renewal.

This last phase, the fallow phase, is the vital missing piece for many of us. Our culture and our lives are usually not set up for periods of rest; we are supposed to go go go all the time. No wonder we always feel so tired and crazy! [Or maybe I am only speaking for myself.]

On Friday I hosted a women's circle, and the topic of our conversation was the creative cycle and that missing phase of rest and rejuvenation. We all agreed that finding time to care for ourselves, to nourish and regenerate ourselves, does not usually take priority.

But my body and spirit have been calling out for me to make it a priority. It's easy to keep going, especially when one has small children; there is always more to do than I will ever get done. Then a couple of weeks ago I hit a low point - I was just so tired and devoid of energy and downright cranky. I realized that I hadn't been giving myself the nourishment [of my soul] that I needed, and that I had been so focused on "getting things done" that I hadn't been giving myself a long overdue break. If I don't take care of my own needs, I'm not that great of a person to be around. And when I do respect taking time to renew myself, I am a much better mother, wife, and creative being.

Last night I was reflecting in my journal, and I came up with the following list of my "fallow phases" [times to rest, recharge, rejuvenate]:
Daily: Nighttime. After the children are asleep, and usually the husband too, I need to focus on an activity that rejuvenates my Self [even if that just means going to sleep early].
Weekly: My husband often works nights, so those nights when he's gone are my special all-to-myself times.
Monthly: I like to let the moon guide my cycles of creativity. When the moon is in her 4th quarter [waning], I use that time to stay especially focused on my own needs.
Yearly: Letting the seasons guide me is more than just eating foods in season [although that of course is an important part]. Spring and summer are very outwardly active seasons. When fall and winter come around, I spend more time inward, in reflection, release, and rejuvenation.

Next in my reflections, I thought about what it is that truly recharges my spirit and renews my mind and body:
Meditation focused in my pelvic bowl [root chakra, home of Spirit]
Solitude
Being outside
Stretching
Energetically recharging with my "warm-up" [for lack of a better name]
Getting enough sleep (!!!)
Nourishing my spirit [with food, self-care, making art, dancing]

I am a list person. They organize my thoughts and bring balance to my mind. Making these lists focuses my awareness on the important task of renewing my body, mind and spirit.

When I'm feeling kind of crazy and overwhelmed, I try to remember that, with two small children, I am in one of the busiest phases of my life. And living my life through its natural cycles of active, creative times and more passive, restful times helps me stay balanced, stable, and joyful.

I bless you with the same.

*Gratitude*

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. Our society (or our ideas of what is expected) demands us to be constantly in motion, and constantly producing. These are very releasing thoughts. You are not only letting go of the pressure to keep up that pace, you are reminding us that it is inevitable that within our own lives, the pace will naturally slow. That is what was really striking to me about your beautifully written blog post, I am still in the BUSY BUSY part of raising little people and they will need me less and less, which gives me hope of a more inward time, but reminds me that all these days are so magical and IMPORTANT to their foundation. LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete